CORTEK’s most Recent Community Outreach
Signs of Fun
Recent children’s charity fundraiser
February 8, 2017
At our most recent Christmas Gala, $2,500 was raised by employee contributions, which was then matched by CORTEK Inc. Signs of Fun-the only weeklong camp in Virginia geared solely to children who are deaf or hard of hearing!
Signs of Fun is about All youth with a hearing loss having free access to communication without the use of interpreters! Our camp has been held each year for one week at the Wilderness Resort, Route 3, Spotsylvania. Here we swim, hike, fish, and have a variety of activities throughout the day related to our theme for the week. Often we have trips and events, such as going to Washington, DC, rafting down the Rappahannock River, or spending the day at King’s Dominion. Our campers vary in ages from 3 to 18. Most of our counselors are the campers that are in high school or ASL students from the local high schools. The cost to the campers is minimal for the week. Most of our support is from the Fredericksburg Lions Club and other fund raisers with the help of parents and friends. –
Cortek held a raffle at their Christmas party and matched the amount of tickets sold!
2017 Fingers crossed that this will be a good year! Your company has definitely started us on the right path!
“Our hands exist so that our soul does not remain silent.” Tibetan Proverb
ReBecca Bennett & Lisa Dumbrowski
Director, Signs of Fun Camp
Founded by Alene Van Horn established 1995
Non Profit Foundation Created by CORTEK
- CORTEK sponsored foundation that conducts periodic events in support of under privileged children’s organizations.
- Founded and funded by CORTEK Inc and maned by CORTEK volunteer employees.
Educational Technology Empowering Kids (ETEK) is a non-profit organization that collects donations and raises funds to acquire forms of educational technology, i.e.: laptops, software, etc. and provide these tools to underprivileged children. ETEK works with the community and other non-profit organizations to identify recipient children and young adults.
Initially, ETEK will disperse laptops and other forms of technology and supporting tools to recipients. Long-term, ETEK envisions various non-profit activities under the ETEK umbrella. These non-profit “activities” under ETEK will “specialize” in various endeavors of acquiring and distributing educational technology along with other forms of support to enhance educational opportunities and improve the quality of life for underprivileged children and young adults.
How to get involved with ETEK…
We gladly accept time, talents and treasures!
If you would like to physically volunteer please feel free to sign up with us at our up- coming event or feel free to email or call us with your information and what you would like to help with.
Or, if you would like to donate money or equipment please contact us and we will work out a pick up or drop off time and place. In advance – we do thank you very much for helping us provide for children in our community who would not otherwise be able to afford educational technology!
You can reach us by phone at: (540) 891-8315
- Artful Dimensions Gallery Sponsor ~ 2011
- Mission Trip Corporate Sponsor ~ 2011
- Juvenile Diabetes Fundraiser Board of Directors ~ January 2011
- Rapp. Big Brothers Big Sisters ~ December 2011
- ETEK feature in The Free Lance Star ~ December 2011
- Virginia Chamber ~ March 2015
- empwer House ~ September 2015
- empower house donation letter ~ September 2015
- Marine Corps Heritage Foundation Donation Letter ~ October 2015
- Marine Corps Heritage Foundation ~ June 2015
- Big Brothers Big Sisters ~ March 2016
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids Sake Participants ~ March 2016